Hello all

Sitting stuck in an upgrade to mysql 4.1, I thought this mailing list would be
a good idea to get help.

I've a php4/mysql application developed on a windows xp machine. Right now I
want to migrate this app to my linux machine. Since the app uses subqueries,
I need to upgrade MySQL on my linux machine from 4.0 to 4.1. Subqueries vs
joins is not an issue, since it's (at least for me and some other developers
not possible).

My machine is a very recent pc running SUSE 9.1 pro. MySQL was running fine so
far, with no problems at all. Since upgrading to 4.1 on XP was as simple as
installing the new 4.1 server and client, I tried to do it the same way on
Linux. Without success.

1]So I decided to reinstall suse from cd, without any mysql but with a working
apache2/php 4.3 configuration (tested and ok).

2]I've downloaded the mysql 4.1.5 rpm's from mysql.com

        MySQL-client-4.1.5-0.i386.rpm
        MySQL-server-4.1.5-0.i386.rpm
        MySQL-shared-4.1.5-0.i386.rpm
3]Command line installation like rpm --install -v -h MySQL*.rpm

4]Installed phpmyadmin, and I was unable the start it getting the error that
php-mysql was missing. Installed php-mysql via Yast from the suse-cd, but
Yast wants allways to install the MySQL-shared-4.0 with it (depen.).

5]Once MySQL-shared-4.0 was installed, I was still not able to connect to
phpmyadmin getting the error " Access denied for user
'tour'@'localhost' (using password: NO). That moment I was able to type in
the command line
shell> mysql

6]On http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html I found this solution:
Reset the password to pre-4.1 style for each user that needs to use a pre-4.1
client program. This can be done using the SET  PASSWORD statement and the
OLD_PASSWORD() function:

                mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR
                -> 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');
which I did.

7]From that moment on I was able to connect to phpmyadmin (using the proper
password in the phpmyadmin config file) and do some database stuff.

8]But from the same moment, when I want to type in the commandline

                linux> mysql
It returns this error in the command line

                linux:~ # mysql
                ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

Since I was able to store my application data through phpmyadmin in a db, I've
tried to run my application in my browser, but it returns the error:

                Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user '...'@'localhost'
(using
password: NO)
in /home/.../public_html/application_0.4/scripts/connections/connect.php on
line 9

Which means to my opinion that users don't have access (even new created mysql
users and after changing the user values in the connection script from my
app).

9] MySQL.com says how to reset password stuff and so on, but therefore I've to
type in the command line >mysql, which returns an error (see 8).

My wish: running mysql 4.1 without problems.

My question: does anyone recognizes the above problems? Can anybody give me an
insight on what I do wrong, how I can run it smoothly?). Would really
appreciate help (and I believe with me many others with the same problem,
since googling many hours did'nt give me the right answer).

Thanks,

Rik