Hi all ,

I have a quick question regarding table locking.

This is a snippet referring to  when table locking is disadvantageous:
"Another client issues another SELECT statement on the same table. Because UPDATE has
higher priority than SELECT, this SELECT will wait for the UPDATE to finish. It will
also wait for the first SELECT to finish!"

So what constitutes a new client exactly? We use Perl and DBI to connect to MySQL.
Does this mean that everytime we connect to the DBase it is considered a new client?
If so , would some form of connection pooling/caching help reduce the lock delays on a
slow SELECT statement?

Thanks !
Aaron