Filip,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Filip Rachunek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:33 AM
Subject: Varchar and InnoDB

Hello,
I have a big table in my InnoDB database (more than 10 million rows)
and it contains a column of varchar(40) type. For some reason I need
to extend this column to varchar(160) but I don't expect to use the
whole capacity of this column, except for several rare cases.
My question is, after I make this "alter table" action, can it have a
negative impact on MySQL performance or required disk space? It is
just an ordinary non-indexed column, not used in where or sort by
conditions.

the ALTER TABLE itself may take quite long if you have many secondary keys on the table.

Increasing the maximum length of a VARCHAR column in InnoDB does not consume more space at all. InnoDB strips the trailing spaces from a VARCHAR column before storing to the data files.

Thank you.
Filip Rachunek

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/