Massimo,

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Massimo Petrini"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 7:57 PM
Subject: CORRECT WAY TO SQUEEZE INNODB 4.0.17

I my network I have 1 master and 4 slaves. I need to squeeze the innodb on
my master; which is the correct way to execute the squeeze action (now the
innodb files is around 1gb, while in a new db is around 300 mB)
thanks

unfortunately, ibdata files never shrink, and you cannot remove them either. The only way in 4.0 is to recreate the whole tablespace.

If you use 4.1.6 with the my.cnf option

innodb_file_per_table

then each table goes into its own .ibd file, and you can free unused space in individual tables with

OPTIMIZE TABLE t;

Beware that the table rebuild that OPTIMIZE does can last very long if the table is bigger than your buffer pool.

Massimo

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/

Massimo Petrini
c/o Omt spa