DVP
----
Dathan Vance Pattishall     http://www.friendster.com

Use Load data from infile .. IGNORE ...  u might get a better insert speed
increase. A different table and a different index / compound index would
improve performance from an insert to a select perspective.

> above query, according to explain), the current behavior makes it reads
> 29548800 complete rows, which is 275.4 GB of data to read, even though the
> desired return is about 1/2500th of that (112.7 MB).

If a range covers more then 30% of the table a table scan is performed,
instead of an index scan.

> Any/all suggestions, comments, even flames are welcoome :)  Thanks in
> advance!
>
> ken

Look at some my.cnf options. You can tell mysql to use keys more often the
table scans with a var called max_seeks_keys=100 // something like that