> No it's not a bug. Look up the DBI documentation and change
> the mysql_sock=
> location in your code OR in /etc/my.cnf define the
> mysqld.sock file to be
> stored in /tmp.

Hmmm... It's not a bug but I have to adapt to it? There is something wrong
with mysql_config not returning the right location of the socket, unless
mysql_config has been designed to explicitely return the location of the
socket at the configuration time (which will be the default one if none has
been specified with "--with-unix-socket-path").

There we go:

--socket
    The default Unix socket file, defined when configuring MySQL.

So we better use "--with-unix-socket-path" when we don't want to use the
default socket.

Christian