MySQL also has a work around. You might try to rephrase your comparison as

WHERE not col <=> 'blah'

the "<=>" operator is documented as a null-enabled equality check. That
way if you are comparing null to null, you get a true or false and not
another null. This comparator is available as of 3.23.0

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Comparison_Operators.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine