> i struggled w/ this for a while, before learning
> that even though i had
> mysql 4.1 installed, php4 was being compiled w/ it's
> own built-in mysql
> libraries, which are pre-4.1, hence the error.
> compiling php5 will
> solve the problem, as it's included mysql libraries
> are apparently
> newer, or compiling php4, and pointing configure to
> your mysql
> libraries (--with-mysql=/path/to/mysql) will also
> work.

FWIW, I have been using PHP5 for a while now with
MySQL 4.1.14-gamma.  If I compile PHP5 with MySQL
4.1.14 libraries things go crazy and I get
reproducible and strange errors during queries.

Compile PHP5 against the old MySQL 4.0.x libraries and
everything is ok. Everything works fine and you end up
with a working apache/php that works just fine
accessing a running 4.1.14 MySQL.

I have not tried compiling against 4.1.17 (production)
so my comments may be irrelevant but I HTH you in case
the problem is not yet fixed and you do decide to try
compiling PHP5 against MySql 4.1.x.

I did have to change my default collation in
phpMyAdmin when I upgraded to 4.1 via the PMA front
page.

Andrew.