Hello everyone! This is the first time I post here, so please bear with me.

It all started when I deleted a whole table by mistake. So I try to
recovered it by copying yesterday's backup. I had never done that before and
it all worked wrong. I found out MySQL server had to be restarted in order
to changes take effect.

I kill mysqld daemon with a 'kill PID', but I didn't know how to restart  it
.I tried with a 'mysqld'  but as soon as I close the Terminal Window, mysqld
died.
Then I tried with 'mysqld &' and it crashed after a while.
Finally I found this nice little script below, I executed it but due to my
ignorance I don't if what I did is right. Everything seems to be ok right
now but I'm not sure if it's gonna crash in a while.

Could you please take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance

Regards

MySQL version: 3.22.32
OS: FreeBSD 4.2

***************************           Beginning of safe_mysqld
********************************

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright Abandoned 1996 TCX DataKonsult AB & Monty Program KB & Detron HB
# This file is public domain and comes with NO WARRANTY of any kind
#
# scripts to start the MySQL daemon and restart it if it dies unexpectedly
#
# This should be executed in the MySQL base directory if you are using a
# binary installation that has other paths than you are using.
#
# mysql.server works by first doing a cd to the base directory and from
there
# executing safe_mysqld

trap '' 1 2 3 15   # we shouldn't let anyone kill us

# Check if we are starting this relative (for the binary release)
if test -d ./data/mysql -a -f ./share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys -a \
 -x ./bin/mysqld
then
  MY_BASEDIR_VERSION=`pwd`  # Where bin, share and data are
  DATADIR=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION/data # Where the databases are
  ledir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION/bin  # Where mysqld is
# Check if this is a 'moved install directory'
elif test -f ./var/mysql/db.frm -a -f ./share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys -a \
 -x ./libexec/mysqld
then
  MY_BASEDIR_VERSION=`pwd`  # Where libexec, share and var are
  DATADIR=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION/var # Where the databases are
  ledir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION/libexec # Where mysqld is
else
  MY_BASEDIR_VERSION=/usr/home/notodo/usr/local/mysql
  DATADIR=/usr/home/notodo/usr/local/mysql/var
  ledir=/usr/local/bin/
  if test ! -x $ledir/mysqld
  then
    echo "The file $ledir/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable"
    echo "Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart"
    echo "this script from there as follows:"
    echo "./bin/safe_mysqld".
    exit 1;
  fi
fi

pid_file=$DATADIR/`/bin/hostname`.pid
log=$DATADIR/`/bin/hostname`.log
err_log=$DATADIR/`/bin/hostname`.err

# Parse arguments to see if caller wants the pid_file somewhere else.
for arg
do
  case $arg
    in
    --pid-file=*)
      pid_file=`echo "$arg" | sed -e "s;--pid-file=;;"`
      ;;
    --datadir=*)
      DATADIR=`echo "$arg" | sed -e "s;--datadir=;;"`
      ;;
  esac
done

#
# If there exists an old pid file, check if the daemon is already running
# Note: The switches to 'ps' may depend on your operating system

if test -f $pid_file
then
  PID=`cat $pid_file`
  if /bin/kill -0 $PID
  then
    if /bin/ps p $PID | grep mysqld > /dev/null
    then    # The pid contains a mysqld process
      echo "A mysqld process already exists"
      echo "A mysqld process already exists at " `date` >> $err_log
      exit 1;
    fi
  fi
  rm -f $pid_file
  if test -f $pid_file
  then
    echo "Fatal error: Can't remove the pid file: $pid_file"
    echo "Fatal error: Can't remove the pid file: $pid_file at " `date` >>
$err_log
    echo "Please remove it manually and start $0 again"
    echo "mysqld daemon not started"
    exit 1;
  fi
fi

#
# Uncomment the following lines if you want all tables to be automaticly
# checked and repaired at start
#
# echo "Checking tables in $DATADIR"
# isamchk --silent --force $DATADIR/*.ISM

echo "Starting mysqld daemon with databases from $DATADIR"

#Default communication ports
#MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3306
if test -z "$MYSQL_UNIX_PORT"
then
  MYSQL_UNIX_PORT="/tmp/mysql.sock"
  export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT
fi
#export MYSQL_TCP_PORT

# Does this work on all systems?
#if type ulimit | grep "shell builtin" > /dev/null
#then
#  ulimit -n 256 > /dev/null 2>&1  # Fix for BSD and FreeBSD systems
#fi

echo "mysqld started on " `date` >> $err_log
while true
do
  rm -f $MYSQL_UNIX_PORT $pid_file # Some extra safety
  if test "$#" -eq 0
  then
    nohup $ledir/mysqld --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION --datadir=$DATADIR \
      >> $err_log 2>&1
  else
    nohup $ledir/mysqld --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION --datadir=$DATADIR \
      "$@" >> $err_log 2>&1
  fi
  if test ! -f $pid_file  # This is removed if normal shutdown
  then
    break;
  fi
  if false
  then
    # Test if one process was hanging.
    # This is only a fix for Linux (running as base 3 mysqld processes)
    # but should work for the rest of the servers.
    # The only thing is ps x => redhat 5 gives warnings when using ps -x.
    # kill -9 is used or the process won't react on the kill.
    numofproces=`ps x | grep -v "grep" | grep -c $ledir/mysqld`
    echo -e "\nNumber of processes running now: $numofproces" | tee -a
$err_log
    I=1
    while test "$I" -le "$numofproces"
    do
      PROC=`ps x | grep $ledir/mysqld | grep -v "grep" | tail -1`
 for T in $PROC
 do
   break
 done
 #    echo "TEST $I - $T **"
 if kill -9 $T
 then
   echo "mysqld process hanging, pid $T - killed" | tee -a $err_log
 else
   break
 fi
 I=`expr $I + 1`
    done
  fi
  echo "mysqld restarted on " `date` | tee -a $err_log
done

echo "mysqld ended on " `date` >> $err_log
echo "mysqld daemon ended"