Ok thanks a bunch, I'll take this information and see what I can come up with.

Chris

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Your system sounds more like BNF (Backus-Naur Form) expression evaluator than a regular expression evaluator. Both are similar in that you can specify sequences of things (letters or words or symbols) to appear in certain orders and in certain quantities. Once a BNF or regex expression is parsed, it is usually represented internally as a decision tree (I once had to port a regex library from one language to another) so it sounds like you want to store that parsed structure in the database, thus saving the parsing step on repeat uses?

If you look at the source code for a BNF or regex evaluator (several are open sourced), you should get some excellent clues about how to structure each node (with one node = one row of data, a node's structure will closely resemble your table structure). Then after you add to each node the two or three extra fields you need for a modified preorder traversal data structure you should be very close to what you will need.

Sorry I can't be more specific but if you understand the needs of your sequence evaluator and you understand the theory of the MPT tables then you already have the pieces you need to get this working.

best of luck!

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine