OK using the source and adding '--enable-shared' to the configure line works on OS X. I then had to create 3 links in order for our app to find the client library:
ln -s /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.12.0.0.dylib /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.12.0.0.dylib
ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.12.0.0.dylib /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.12.dylib
ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.12.0.0.dylib /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.dylib

We're simply working on a how-to/faq to address this issue informing users that they will have to install/configure MySQL to have this in place...

Thanks for the help.

Michael Stassen wrote:

That's right, it's a precompiled binary. If you want a different configuration, you have to download the source and build your own <http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/>. I haven't tried --enable-shared on Mac OS X, so I can't promise it will work, but I'm not aware of any reason it wouldn't.

In any case, I don't see how this will help you, as your stated goal was to avoid distributing the library. I suspect you'll either have to face the licensing issue and distribute your app with the library built in, or distribute your app in source with instructions to build against the customer's copy of the library.

Michael

Rob Kudyba wrote:

OK so how do you reconfigure? Here's what happens when I try this:
./configure CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc \
 > CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors \
 > -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" \
 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
 > --with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client \
 > --enable-local-infile --enable-shared
NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
need to configure it!

Michael Stassen wrote:

MySQL does not come in pieces for Mac OS X. The whole thing comes in one Mac OS X binary package in PKG format, downloaded as a disk image (.dmg) file <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Mac_OS_X_installation.html>. The installer puts everything in /usr/local/mysql-VERSION, with a symbolic link at /usr/local/mysql.

The package does not include a shared library, however, as it's built with the --disable-shared flag <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Mac_OS_X_10.x.html>.

Michael

Rob Kudyba wrote:

Where is there an OS X equivalent of:
"MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm

The standard MySQL client programs. You probably always want to install
this package." which is referred to here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Linux-RPM.html

Specifically, I am looking for libmysqlclient.so.12 since you cannot
package that in applications since it would break the terms of the GPL.