> 1) would it be better to go brandnew with a single processor or like a quad
> p4 that's a year or two old.

Depends on how your application runs. BTW, I don't think they made
quad p4's. You can't run p4 chips in SMP -- they must be Xeon's.

> 2) I am going to running raid 5, so I assume that I should run scsi drives?

I'd recommend getting one of the 3ware 9500 raid controllers and
getting SATA drives. You'll save yourself a bundle of money. Although,
don't get the WD Raptor drives -- they have a very high failure rate.
You can also then run in RAID 10, which, in most cases, is faster than
RAID 5.

> 3) my database is not really huge, any tricks on how to determine how much
> ram I need?

There is a formula somewhere. It's something like shared buffers +
(thread buffers * client count) + OS Disk Cache. You'd have to look up
what those buffers are to get the exact count.

out.