It doesn't say access denied so I assume the socket is not even open.

Never assume :o)

From your windows box, you could try:

        telnet host.domain.com 3306

... if it connects, it connected to *something*

How can I find out if MySQL is on the port 3306?
What Linux command shows all active ports TCP or UDP?

On the linux box:

        nmap localhost

From your windows box, you could get a port scanner tool from download.com (I use one called SuperScanner)

Possible things I'd personally look for:

1. does your linux box have a firewall script running?
        iptables -V -l
1b. if so, does disabling the firewall script allow access?
1c. if so, it could be that your linux firewall isn't letting you in

2. is the linux box on a private LAN IP (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x etc) and behind a NAT box (internet connection sharing router, or other gateway system)?
2b. if so, is port forwarding enabled to allow port 3306 to be forwarded to your mysql box?

3. is mysql *running*?
(okay, this should have been question #1...)
3b. if so, can you connect to mysql locally on the linux box?

-id