I'm running mysql 4.1.7 on linux. I recently made the upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.1.7 to get the additional character sets support. I have data getting inserted that has various unicode characters embedded such as the Registered Trademark symbol, and various foreign language characters.

my tables are innodb and I set them to use utf-8, macroman and macce character sets, and the unicode characters still display in the browser as the incorrect symbols, such as: ‡Ž’—œ Ëéíñô. If I set the browser to unicode character encoding, then most of the characters display as black diamonds with question marks in them.

I am pretty new to this unicode situation and any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Eben