Right, I upgraded my version of MySQL last night after a lot of digging about, found a
few bugs to do with table coruption that possibly could have been the problem.

I am re-runing my script and its seems to be going fine this time.

I am now using 4.0.28, I was using an early version of 4 can't remeber the exact
version but it contained "gamma" in the version if that tracks it down.

I actually changed my script to convert the table to InnoDB, do the
inserts/selects/updates, convert back to MyISAM (As i need fulltext) then run
myisamchk, it took about 3-4 hours longer than a pure MyISAM version.

Hohum,

John