Hello Gleb,

> Please read the notes about MySQL on Linux:
>
>  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Linux.html

I don't find anything specific to my problem there, sorry!
My Linux installation seems to be missing something that the
bdb part of MySQL 4.1 needs and which was not needed by v4.0
and below. As I don't use the bdb engine in MySQL I found
some hint yesterday in some posting which explained how to
disable the bdb functions (put the command "skip-bdb" into
the [mysqld] section of my.conf). This shuts down the error
message and MySQL 4.1.5 now runs on my machine.

> Do you use the official binary distribution?

No, I use a Debian package. Actually I don't know if it is
based on the official binaries or if the package maintainer
compiled a special version. Usually Debian packages install
perfectly but MySQL 4.1 is in the "experimental" stage. I
also ran into more problems but I could solve all those
manually.

>> [ERROR] bdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
>> [ERROR] bdb: process-private: unable to initialize environment
>>              lock: Function not implemented

I still wonder which part in my rather new Linux (kernel 2.4.18,
libc6) is missing to support these bdb functions.

At least I can work with GROUP_CONCAT now...

Best regards, Stefan.