When I run safe_mysqld, it starts and ends immediatly. In the mysqld.log in
/var/log it has the following:

010418 21:19:47  mysqld started
010418 21:19:47  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13)
010418 21:19:47  mysqld ended

Below is the my.cnf file

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

I ran mysql_install_db and it created database files in
/var/lib/mysql/mysql. The file host.frm does exist in that directory. I
tried copying those files /var/lib/mysql but it made no difference. I have
no ethernet card in the machine and therefore it would be running as
localhost.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Steve