For each ADNO, you want the row with Lastupdatetime equal to that group's MAX(Lastupdatetime) . This is a little bit tricky and a frequently asked question. There are 3 ways to do it documented in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/example-Maximum-column-group-row.html>.

Michael

Rob Keeling wrote:

I am trying to find the sql statement needed to extract, from a table of
data with multiple instances of a id no,
a list of unique id nos, picking the latest (by datestamp which is stored as
a second field) so that a master list is updated.

The application is a list of student photos, each database row defines the
filename of a photo, the student id is assigned to the
photo once it is known, I then need to produce a list for all photos showing
the details of the latest photo for each student.

SELECT  *  FROM Photosforimport ORDER  BY adno, Lastupdatetime DESC

Gives me the data I need, however I need to be able to just pick out the row
with the latest Lastupdatetime for each ADNO.

I couldn`t find anything on google, but may have been asking the wrong
question!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob Keeling