Hello.

Usually config file means "my.cnf" (my.ini on Windows).

>As I don't have the [mysqld-4.0] in the my.cnf just [mysqld]

See:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Option_files.html

>And how do I know that it is actually running?

Start by checking whether there is a process named mysqld running on your

server host. (Use "ps xa | grep mysqld" on Linux or the Task Manager on
Windows.)

If there is no such process, you should start the server.

       <___/   www.mysql.com