Craig Cummings wrote:

Hi there,

I have a table with three columns, two varchar(12) identifiers and a
longtext column with very long (some > 50 MB) strings.  The size of the
chromosomes.MYD table was about 2.8 GB.  The table was used transiently
and I no longer needed to store the strings, so in the interest of freeing
up space I did the following:

mysql> UPDATE chromosomes SET sequence = "";

When I query the database I can see that the sequence field is a null
string for each record.  However, the size of the chromosomes.MYD file in
the data directory has not changed (i.e. it is still about 2.8 GB).  SHOW
TABLE STATUS (in mysql) and df (at the shell prompt) both report the same
value.

How can I get the table size to correspond to the small amount of data
that actually remains in the table?  Thanks for your assistance.

Dump it, delete it, and reload it.
Files never get smaller, only bigger.