To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: Best Practices

Yes, there can be a small lag in data updates, in fact
I believe the lag time will be less than a second
considering our architecture.

We have been considering replication as a solution but
have been hesitant to do so because I have heard there
are problems with data inserted through a LOAD DATA
INFILE command. We regularly import csv data from
spreadsheets from people working offline and have some
pretty sophisticated processes built around this
requirement.

Has anyone run into this problem, and are there any
solutions?

Thanks,
Michael Haggerty

--- Eamon Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can there be a small lag between servers? If a
second or two
is acceptable, this sounds like a perfect
environment for
replication:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Replication.html

Basically, when the master writes something to the
database,
it also logs the transaction to a log file. The
slave simply
reads that log file and executes the same
transaction
locally. The additional load is very very small,
your tables
will all be consistent, and you can index the
reporting
database six ways from Sunday without touching the
master.

Eamon Daly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Haggerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>