Hi Everyone,

I've been Googling unsuccessfully for specific issues
relating to queries run on MySQL version 4.0.16
against "tmp" tables.  I have witnessed several
occurrences where queries running on various platforms
hang in a "Copying to tmp table" state for hours or
days at a time.  When the same query is manually run
from the MySQL command line client, the query returns,
even on very large tables.  Could someone please give
me a hint as to possible tuning (or upgrade?) ideas to
fix this situation?  I can't find anything else on
each problem system that would give me a hint as to
why this problem randomly occurs.  I've made attempts
at adjusting the "tmp_table_size" limits to have the
system try to do "order by" queries in memory, but
this does not seem to help the situation.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Kevin

"show full processlist" output (notice that the query
has been running for 7.9 days!!!):
| 33 | someuser | localhost:34329 | sometable | Query
 | 687465
| Copying to tmp table | select
  date_add( date_format(time, '%Y-%c-%d 00:00:00'),
INTERVAL 0 HOUR) time,
group by 1
order by 1