Heikki,

the output shows that there are no dangling transactions, and purge is not lagging behind.

Yes, that's what I thought... weird, huh :/

If you update a secondary index column, that requires purge to clean up the index.

The tables have structure similar to the following:

create table table1 (
  key1 tinyint unsigned not null default 0,
  key2 int     unsigned not null default 0,
  data1 int not null default 0,
  dataN int not null default 0,
  primary key(key1,key2)
) engine=innodb;

updates are performed like this:

insert into table table1 (key1,key2,data1,dataN)
values (...),...,(...)
on duplicate key update data1=values(data1),dataN=values(dataN)

so primary keys don't get updated...

Please shut down mysqld, remove

innodb_file_per_table
from my.cnf, and restart mysqld. Then do
CREATE TABLE test.t(a INT) TYPE=InnoDB;
Then do
SHOW TABLE STATUS FROM test;

What does it print as the InnoDB free space for the table test.t? That is the free space in the system tablespace.

Unfortunately I won't be able to shut down the server until this weekend. Will let you know the results.

Thanks for the advice.

Good luck,
Ivan