I noticed something "interesting" with our slow-query log and am looking for
an answer.

Our slow-query log is set for to record anything over 7 seconds.

In monitoring the server I ran the "show full processlist"  I occasionally
see entries like

| ID | USER | HOST | DATABASE | Query   | "120"    | "sleep" | QUERY |

Where the 120 is the time; which is well over are threshold of 7 seconds.
However the query is not written to our slow-query.log file and to the best
of my knowledge is not counted as a slow query.

Why does this occur?

My guess it only counts active query time and not sleep time.

Jeff