I have a semi-large table (about 6GB, 27 million records) and an index called LNAME on three of the columns. I am trying to DROP the index to re-create, and it is taking over 2 hours (and still going). It has been the longest on 'Repair with keycache', which I have read is 1000x slower than 'Repair with Sort' (it hung on that status during initial creation, which took like 6 hours to create initially)

I have also read tweaking myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size and myisam_max_sort_file_size will allow for Repair with Sort. What value should I set those two variables to so I can force it to 'repair with sort'?

The machine has 3GB of RAM.  Any help is appreciated.

Sean