----- Original Message -----
From: "kalin mintchev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 6:05 PM
Subject: syntax question..

> hi everybody..
>
> can somebody please explain what is wrong with this command:
> select t1.data from table1 as t1 where t1.zip=(select * from table2 as t2
> where t2.chain like "%carmike%");

I don't recognize your name so I'm assuming that you are new to this list.

I would suggest that you include *at least* your MySQL version and operating
system any time you post a question to this list. Those two things,
particularly the MySQL version, will often have a huge bearing on the
problem and the answer to the question. Your question is a perfect example
of that: subqueries are not supported before MySQL V4.1 so if you are using
V4.0.x or earlier, your subquery will never work; you will either have to
rewrite the query so that it doesn't have a subquery or upgrade to a version
of MySQL that supports subqueries.

On the other hand, if you are using a version of MySQL that supports
subqueries, it would be very useful if you could tell us what error message
you are getting. Or are you simply getting a result different than the one
you expected but no actual error message?

We can help a lot more if you do these things. Otherwise, it is like telling
us your car is broken and asking what to do without even telling us what
kind of car you have or what the symptoms are ;-)

Rhino