John,

I don't think anyone can say for sure which is 'better'.  MySQL is used in a
different kind of environment than Oracle.  Oracle is designed for an
enterprise environment, where many different applications are used
simultaneously to add or retrieve data from a central data store. MySQL is
designed more for web applications, where data is maintained and accessed
through a smaller set of programs. Many people have set up very successful
MySQL web applications.

It is easier and cheaper to administer mysql, and it is faster, but less
external software is designed for it. For example, if you might use an
external business intelligence tool, it will work with Oracle, but it might
not work with MySQL, even through ODBC.

In my mind, the two main problems with MySQL are:
1) lack of derived tables
2) lack of subqueries

I'm in the process of switching from Oracle to MySQL. The main reasons for
doing this were:
1) price.
2) administration. I can do DBA stuff on Oracle, but it's much easier and
faster to do it on MySQL. Things that take a long time and significant study
on oracle don't even require you to think about them on mysql.
3) hardware. Given hardware can handle much more data much faster on MySQL.
4) support. Oracle has a vested interest in keeping discussion of its
product hidden inside proprietary tech support databases.  Thus problems in
the product are not obvious until you hit them.  I didn't want to buy oracle
support (they told us it started at $10k).
5) focus. Where is Oracle heading? Towards selling services and other
applications to enterprise customers.  They don't want small customers, and
they don't want to make the product easier to use. They sell the product to
conservative managers who are willing to spend extra money to ensure they
have something that will do what they want, and Oracle will do most things
if you spend enough money on consultants and hardware.

hope this helps.
braxton