Could it be that you have put your variables into the wrong section of
your configuration file?  I haven't been able to look it up to verify my
information but I thought the section that starts with [mysql] contained
settings for the command line client while the section that starts with
[mysqld] contains settings for the server.

I would love to have the link(s) into the manual for the page(s) that
describes which section header to use in the INI/CFG file for which
product (mysql, mysqld, mysqldump, etc).  I know I read it somewhere (a
long time ago) but I can't find it today. Thanks!

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine