I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that 4.1 is now production and a
lot more people are now using it then before.  So you are bound to have new
bugs crop up, or in some cases people think they are bugs and they just
haven't read the manual.  You can see what's already been fixed for 4.1.8 at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/News-4.1.8.html

Donny