Kevin,

Could be a few things causing problems. Lets look at the most obvious.

First, make sure you can login locally as root.

Second, MySQL authenticates based on user, password, and host. If you have a
know user with the right password coming from an unknown host MySQL will
bounce you.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connection_access.html

In the MySQL database, there is a table named `user`. In that table is a
list of authorized users to the database server. Check the table and make
sure you're accounts are in their and you have the host set correctly.

-- Execute this with a user that has read access to MySQL database.
SELECT u.user, u.host FROM mysql.user u;

If you see something like this, then you know user `Bigkevin` can only
connect from the db-server's box.

+------------+---------------+
| user       | host          |
+------------+---------------+
| BigKevin   | localhost     |
+------------+---------------+

If you see something like this, then you know user `BigKevin` can connect
from _ANY_ machine.

+------------+---------------+
| user       | host          |
+------------+---------------+
| BigKevin   | %             |
+------------+---------------+

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Adam

Kevin Barry>

> I've installed ver 4.1.7 on a brand new Fedora Core 3 server but cannot
> connect remotely from a Mac OSX machine running Navicat or a Win XP machine
> running MySQL Admin. I can ping the machine with no problem and have opened
> the firewall for the 3306 port.
>
> The error I receive is:
>
> Could not connect to the specified instance.
>
> MySQL Error Number 2003
> Can't connect to MySQL server on 192.168.0.11(10060)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Regards,
Adam