I suddenly have lost the ability to connect to the MySQL server from my
remote host and can not figure out what is wrong.  I have searched for
the last couple of days and cannot figure out why.

I am running MySql 5.0.0 on Linux Suse 9.1

I normally connect to MySQL from Windows XP Pro using either the .Net
connector and/or the ODBC connector.

When I check the variables it shows that the port is set to 3306

But when I run the following it appears that TCP is not working
correctly.

linux:~ # netstat -l | grep mysql

tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*
LISTEN

unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4671
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

If I log in via SSH or from a shell on the Linux box itself I can
connect to the database in any of the following ways:
mysql -u user_name -p database_name

mysql -u user_name -p -h localhost database_name

mysql -u user_name -p -h 127.0.0.1 database_name

mysql -u user_name -p -h the_static_ip_address database_name

As soon as I try to connect from Windows XP using the .Net connector,
the ODBC connector, MySQL Query Browser or MySQL Administrator I get the
following error:

Could not connect to the specified instance.

MySQL Error Nr. 2003

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' (10060)

I am able to successfully ping the IP address of the Linux machine.

Here is what is listed in the /etc/my.cnf file

[mysqld]

datadir=/var/lib/mysql

port=3306

socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock