Quoting Christian Kavanagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm hoping to move to MySQL from Access, mostly so I can use my Mac to
> build databases.  So far I've been able to set up MySQL, connect to it,
> and create databases and tables.  Getting to this point has required a
> paradigm shift or two on my part (my first question after it was
> installed was, okay, how the hell do I open up the app and start
> work?).
>
> Now I'd like to create some relationships between the tables in my
> database.  But I'm having some trouble getting my head around how to do
> this - probably because I'm working with an Access paradigm.  Imagine I
> had two tables:
>
> CONTACT               COMPANY
> contactID                     coID
> name                  name
> employer

Christian!

CONTACT
company_id              COMPANY
contactID               coID
name                    name
employer

assuming your coID stands for company ID, tie these two fields together

select * from CONTACT,COMPANY where COMPANY.coID = CONTACT.company_id

try that for starters

Richard

> I want the field contact.employer to link to a specific company record.
>   In Access I'd set up a "lookup" in the field contact.employer, linked
> to the field company.coid; how do I achieve the same results in MySQL?
>
> If anyone can answer this or point me to a good resource I will be very
> grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris.
>

> --

R. Whitney
Transcend Development
"Producing the next phase of your internet presence"
http://xend.net
Premium Quality Web Hosting
http://hosting.xend.net
rw AT xend.net