Michael Stassen said:

> Rudy Lippan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Patrick Galbraith wrote:
>>

>>>William,
>>>
>>>I'm not sure about this, because it involves windows/active state, and
>>>  those ppm packages used for active state perl are pre-compiled to
>>> run.  I'll talk to the current maintainer about this and see if he
>>> knows  about how active state packages their DBD ppm, or if he's heard
>>> of this  issue (I haven't before)
>>>

>> Interesting. When this comes up on the linux/bsd/unix side of things,
>> I just tell people to either recompile against the latest mysql client
>> libraries, or  set the mysql server to accept the older passwords.
>>
>> But now with active state, it probably gets a little more complicated.
>> My guess is that active state is packaging DBD::mysql with an older
>> version of the mysql libraries, and I don't know if the new client
>> libraries will talk to older versions of MySQL (Can anyone confirm
>> this)?, but if it is the case that the newer mysql client libraries
>> can't talk to the older versions of mysql, then active state would
>> have to release two version of DBD::mysql, one compiled to talk 4.1.7
>> and one to talk to everthing else.  Or activestate just says that you
>> have to use the old passwords with 4.1.7 (Oh, and what about the
>> shutdown  changes?)
>>
>> Rudy
>
> New clients can talk to old servers.  This is documented in the manual
> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html>.
>
> Michael

Yes I know NOW. Its a problem with DBD being an OLD client. I also asked
the question from the other direction on the DBI maillist and I don't know
if the DBD::mysql maintainer was aware of the implications.  He was
focusing on stored procedures (a 5.x option I thougth).  A warning should
go into the Perl interface section of the manual (~~Temporarily you will
have to use OLD_PASSWORD until DBD::mysql is updated~~ or some such).
Once you know what the problem is you can look in the correct section of
the manual, but until then I didn't know where to look. But it was Monday.

Bill