The biggest help is from INSTALL-SOURCE in the source tarball.
The basic commands you must execute to install and use a *MySQL* binary
distribution are:

     shell> groupadd mysql
     shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
     shell> cd /usr/local
     shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     shell> ln -s mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
     shell> cd mysql
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
     shell> chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/var
     shell> chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
     shell> chown -R root /usr/local/mysql/bin/
     shell> bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

Ping Lu
Cable & Wireless Global
Network Tools and Analysis Group, USA