Shankar,
Thanks for the input. I understand the route you suggest, but it doesn't get at the heart of my issue. The info I'm interested in isn't really about my particular app performance. I'm looking for issues in regards to how the MySQL code executes against Solaris vs. Linux.
I have read in the past that roots of certain performance issues on Solaris/MySQL had been identified (such as different thread models and thread creation time: Solaris v. Linux, etc...).
The kind of input I'm looking for is: Does anyone know if Solaris 10 has made any changes to the things that were identified to be dragging MySQL on Solaris?
Since I'm also studying freeBSD 5.3, I would also like to know if anyone has ideas on this as well. IOW, has freeBSD 5.3 fixed/changed things that in previous versions were a cause of slowness in MySQL.
thanks, Jon

Jon:

The main reason MySQL did not do as well on Solaris as it did on Linux in the past was that Linux cached more aggressively, and MyISAM tables heavily depend of filesystem cache. I do know know if Solaris 10 solved that problem. I would recommend that you install Solaris 10 and do a benchmark. You may need to do some special tuning of Solaris to make it cache better.

-- Sasha Pachev Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/