When you set a field to auto-increment, can you tell it where to start?

I'm trying to set up multimaster replication, but I'm worried about
auto-increment collisions.

Q: If server A starts auto-incrementing at 0, and server B starts
auto-incrementing at some point higher than the maximum number of
records, would that allow replication without auto-increment collisions?

Q2: Assuming you can tell it where to start auto-incrementing, what
happens after the following sequence:

1. Johnny inserts record 1000 at server A.

2. Server A receives record number 5000 from server B via replication.

3. Mary needs to insert a new record. Does server A number the new
record 1001 or 5001?

--

Eric Robinson