Sasha Pachev wrote:

So all I have to do, using the binary, is to take the mysqld file and replace my old one (from 4.1.3 to 4.1.7, for example).

And for the source, I compile in another directory, then take the mysqld file and replace my old one?

Is that documented somewhere?

Do not forget to replace  errmsg.sys with the newer version.

This method does not seem to be documented anywhere, but I have successfully used it since early 3.23.

Ok, but is an upgrade within the same version (from 4.1.6 to 4.1.7) documented somewhere? I never found it. If there is missing something in the doc, maybe I could help...

Here is another trick you can do if you want to benchmark a certain mysqld binary on some random system where you have an account:

scp sql/mysqld sql/share/english/errmsg.sys host:
ssh host
mkdir mysql-data
./mysqld --skip-grant --skip-net --datadir=`pwd`/mysql-data --language=`pwd` --socket=`pwd`/mysql-data/mysql-test.sock &

you can now connect on socket `pwd`/mysql-data/mysql-test.sock and issue queries.

Thanks, this is interessting.

Ugo