You *are* getting both; you just aren't getting them in the same result set.
Assuming you are executing both queries in the context of a program that has
variables, that should be sufficient for you to do just about anything you
can imagine.

Yeah, thought about that before I went to sleep. And, since it is only one result, it will be easy to work with. I just wanted MySQL to do the dirty work instead of RealBasic. But both should be equally fast at doing it, so it won't matter.

As for the join stuff, I looked at it. Actually, I am using a "LEFT JOIN" in another section of my app. Did not know you could do an implicit join without the syntax "JOIN." Got to admit, I don't understand all I know about JOIN. But it works, so I'm happy!

--kevin