At 1:29 -0600 11/25/04, tom miller wrote:
yes i do have tinyint and i have even tried mediumint both of which i
set the value to 255  knowing i will never come close to filling  that
many rows

this is in a database shared with phpbb2  and i included a script to
log the ip browser and a timestamp.

the table is called ipbrowser and the columns are:
id tinyint(255) ip (20) browser(100) timestamp(14)

I'm unable to make sense of that, because it's not a legal table definition and only id is associated with a data type. However, the (255) following tinyint has nothing to do with maximum value. Maximum value for an integer is a function of the data type and whether or not it is unsigned, not the display width. It looks to me like you need to use a larger integer data type.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Numeric_type_overview.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Numeric_types.html

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team