De : Varakorn Ungvichian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoyé : vendredi 26 novembre 2004 09:32
À : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : How to retrieve constraints and links from MySQL tables?

So, I'm running a MySQL database (version: 4.0.21) for
a personal project of mine, and I would like to learn
how to retrieve constraints and links from the table
after it's been created. The create statements read
thusly:

CREATE TABLE positions (
position_id tinyint(4) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
AUTO_INCREMENT,
position_name varchar(20) NOT NULL,
position_salary float  NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (position_id),
UNIQUE position_id (position_id)
);

CREATE TABLE employees (
employee_id tinyint(4) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
AUTO_INCREMENT,
employee_first varchar(20) NOT NULL,
employee_last varchar(20) NOT NULL,
employee_address varchar(255) NOT NULL,
position_id tinyint(4) NOT NULL default 1,
employee_start date,
employee_temp bool default 0,
FOREIGN KEY (position_id) references
positions(position_id),
PRIMARY KEY (employee_id),
UNIQUE employee_id (employee_id)
);

When I run "show columns from employees", there is no
indication that the "position_id" field in "employees"
is linked to that of "positions". This is the
resulting table:

+------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field            | Type         | Null | Key |
Default | Extra          |
+------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| employee_id      | tinyint(4)   |      | PRI | NULL
  | auto_increment |
| employee_first   | varchar(20)  |      |     |
  |                |
| employee_last    | varchar(20)  |      |     |
  |                |
| employee_address | varchar(255) |      |     |
  |                |
| position_id      | tinyint(4)   |      |     | 1
| employee_start   | date         | YES  |     | NULL
| employee_temp    | tinyint(1)   | YES  |     | 0

Is there a command or something that will display what
constraints (or links) exist in a given table?

Varakorn Ungvichian