Scott Tanner wrote:
  I've been having this issue as well, happening more frequently to our
production web /ejb servers. I've increased the logging to warning level,
but my logs don't contain much (if any) information. Is there a way to
increase logging to debug level, or get  more information as to what is
causing the problem? I want to make sure the application is not mishandling
the connections before increasing the max_connection_errors.

Scott:

I believe this is as much logging as you can get. However, this particular error happens when too many network reads are timing out. There are two most likely causes I can think of:

* Network problems
* The client CPU load is very high. So some client process starts authenticating, then gets rescheduled, and takes forever to get another turn to finish authenticating.

As Gleb has pointed out, increasing max_connect_errors will help. Also, try increasing connect_timeout. And set up a cron job that runs FLUSH HOSTS every so often.

-- Sasha Pachev Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/