Because you will be downloading 500,000 rows... And I don't really think that was the point. Who cares what the example is. Personally I was quite impressed with great explanation.

I would have simply said a chunk of code that runs on the server that the client can call. And this guy took the time to put together a really good reply with an example.

Mike

Wolfram Kraus wrote:
[...]

Suppose you have a table with a million records, test scores from a widely
taken exam for example. You need to find the median mark - NOT the
average! - so your algorithm needs to read all million records, sort them
into ascending or descending sequence by the test score, then read exactly
half way through the sequenced list to find the middle record; that's the
one that contains the median score.

If that work were to happen on the client, the client would have to fetch a
million records, sort them all, then read through half of those records
until it found the middle record; then it would report on the median mark.
There would clearly be a lot of network traffic involved in getting all
those records to the client, sorting them and then reading through the
sorted records.

[...]
Pardon my ignorance, but why can't you do this (in MySQL) with a "select count ..." and afterwards a "select ... order by... LIMIT"? All the work is done on the server, too. No need for a SP here.

Wolfram