Richard,

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Richard F. Rebel"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 6:11 PM
Subject: InnoDB Log and binlog files and Solid State Disk?

--=-JDf9WlMx8c01FXMbzrGw

Hello,

I happen to be in a position to utilize a 6GB FC solid state disk (RAM
based with battery and disk backup) on our new storage area network.

I haven't ever used an SSD for MySQL before, but I am aware of the
potential performance benefits.  My question is, does anyone have any
suggestions on how to best deploy it?

We have two machines, each dual opteron 250's with 4GB of ram ea.  These
are to be configured with steeleye's lifekeeper (not done yet) for
active/passive failover.

Currently we have 4 LUN's available via 2Gbps FC, each with 120 some odd
gigs to be used for storage.  Also the 6GB SSD.  Our current InnoDB
table space size is about 200GB.

I planned on putting the innodb log log files on the SSD.  These are not
that large on the system we are gonig to replace, about 90 megs each for
3 of them.  Does it make much sense to increase these significantly?
Normally this would be bad in case of roll backs (we often do large
transactions) that take a long time.

having big ib_logfiles does not affect rollbacks in any way.

The only disadvantage from big ib_logfiles is that crash recovery may last longer, beceause there are more log records to redo.

Any opinions on how much might the
fact that the innodb logs are on the SSD effect the rollback time?

Further, I had been thinking to place the most recent mysql binlogs on
the SSD as well.

Is there anything else other than perhaps temp table space that I might
consider placing on SSD?

Placing logs on a solid state disk sounds a good idea. If the Linux (?) kernel is advanced enough, fsync() may run much faster when we flush the log files to the disk.

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks,

Richard

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php