This may be a bit off-topic for the MySQL List but see below:

Gunter Götz wrote:

Hello experts,

according the desprictions I have installed the phpMyAdmin (2.6.0-pl3) as
following:

shell> su - <enter>
shell> mv phpMyAdmin-2.6.0-pl3.tar.tar /usr/sbin/ <enter>
shell> cd /usr/sbin/ <enter>
shell> tar -zxf phpMyAdmin-2.6.0-pl3.tar.tar <enter>
shell> rm phpMyAdmin-2.6.0-pl3.tar.tar
shell> mv phpMyAdmin-2.6.0-pl3/ phpMyAdmin
shell> phpMyAdmin/ <enter>

phpmyadmin is a web application. You extracted it to your /usr/sbin directory which is probably not where your web server is looking for files (unless you directed it to do so in your httpd.conf). The default for Apache is in the apache install directory (often /usr/local/apache/html).

At the configuration file I did following changes:

 shell> vi config.inc.php

 $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = 'http://localhost/phpMyAdmin';
 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http';
 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = '';

After that I startet a browser(Mozilla) at that local server and entered:
http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/
But unfortunately it appeared only the message "The connection was refused
when attempting to
contact localhost.

Sounds like your web server is either not running or is running on a different port (you would have to alter the std port in httpd.conf)

On that server runs a mysql server (V.4.0.22) which is placed in
/usr/sbin/mysqld.

I`m just a beginner with linux, mysql and phpMyAdmin. Who can give me
support? Is there any
additional software for PHP necessary?

To run phpmyadmin you need:

Web Server that supports php (Apache is good, if you get Apache 2.0 use the prefork option with PHP, if you don't know what that is go with the 1.3.x versions for linux)-- www.apache.org
MySQL-- www.mysql.com
PHP-- www.php.net

There are quite a few Linux distro's that can create all of this during install for you if you are unfamiliar with installing software on Linux.

hth,
Jason McKnight
Mgr. Information Services
The InSite Group,LLC