The reason I ask is because eight select statements should not bog down a production server. On the MySQL side, is anything being written to the slow query log? On the application side is there any virus scanning or similar activity being performed? Does iostat show any heavy reading or writing activity? Is memory being swapped? What is the server load? Do you have a high wait time or is CPU usage the only symptom?

Andrew Nelson wrote:

Hi Victor,

How did you deduce that the database server is the bottleneck? Are all your processes running on the same machine?

Because 'ps -aux' shows it running at 94% of the CPU and when I
stop/start the mysql server,  it seems to be ok again for another
hour.

Any ideas?

Andrew Nelson wrote:

Hi,

I have a MySQL 3.23.55 server managing accounts on my exim mail server..
The table type on all tables MyISAM.. I have the MTA performing various queries
for each incoming email - determining mail aliases, vacation messages and
filtering rules etc but they're all pretty much SELECT statements.. I know
this isn't ideal and i've started replacing runtime queries with processes that
search text files instead (generated every few minutes etc) but it should
still be able to cope I would have thought?

At it's busiest, it's performing about 8 trivial queries per second. It's a Xeon
2.6Ghz machine with 1Gb of RAM (running on FreeBSD) but it's grinding to a halt.

I have to keep stopping and restarting the MySQL server to regain speed.
As there's many processes trying to access the same tables to do SELECTs I
thought it might be a locking issue.. BDB didn't seem to help - can anyone
suggest something that might help?

Thanks,
Andrew.