Jason Lixfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/12/2004 03:32:32:

> I'm very new to mysql and replication.  I've got a case where I have 2
> servers, each have database A and database B.  I want server 1 to be
> master for database A and slave for database B and I would like server
> 2 to be slave for database A and master for database B.
>
>  From what I've read, if a server is a master, it's a master and
> likewise for a slave and they can't share the role depending on the
> requirements of the user.
>
> Can someone enlighten me?

No, I think it is more flexible than that, and will probably fulfil your
needs.

You can set up "circular" replication, of which your two-server case is
the simplest example. It is then up to you to ensure at application level
that no single table is updated on more than one machine. If you observer
that rule than, so far as I understand, replication will do what you want.
If you break that rule, behaviour will be unpredictable.

You might want to use the replicate_do_db variable to provide a partial
enforcement of the rule.

        Alec