[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi All,

Mysqldump -h host name -u username -p password  --databases <database
name> > dump.dmp

My doubts are as follows.

1.      How to take the backup and restore from the client machine using
ODBC?

mysqldump is a command line utility for making backups. You will have to exec (iirc, it is called system in VB) your mysqldump statement. Providing the full paths of your mysqldump binary and your dump file is a good idea.

2.      If I have connection already established using ODBC, can I run
the Mysqldump command with the connection id? If yes, do let me know the
solution.

You do not need an ODBC connection to run mysqldump, rathery ou need permissions to exec the process. If you want to use the sql statements to get the mysql dump, it is a long tedious process (to be indulged in only if you have time and energy to rebuild the wheel). If you have the patience, have a look at the source code of phpmyadmin specifically the function PMA_exportData in the file /libraries/export/sql.php) .

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

By reading this message you confirm that you owe me two large pizzas

--
Raj Shekhar,
System Administrator