We just installed MySQL 4.1.7 (we were previously using 4.0.22)

Our applications have now become extremely slow. When executing
queries directly on the database server, our response times are "228
rows in set (0.00 sec)"  When we execute them from our development
servers (via mysql query browser, or using Connector/J) we get 228
rows in 5172 msec.

I do not really know what to do to try to determine the cause of the
slowdown. Using trace route there is only one hop directly to the DB
server and large files transfer lightning quick so I do not think it
is a network problem, but rather a MySQL connection problem.

Can someone please provide a pointer or two to try to determine what
is going on? 4.0.x was significantly faster, but I now need
subqueries.

Thanks in advance,
Frank