Larry, if you haven't resolved this yet - you might want to install from the
sources, like I do. I am also running FreeBSD 4.2, here is what I did, and
it seems to work like a champ.

1) get the source from
www.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.37.tar.gz
2) put this file in some directory on your system (mine is /usr/src)
3) go to that directory and run 'gunzip mysql-3.23.37.tar.gz'
4) now run 'tar -xvf mysql-3.23.37.tar'
5) now run 'cd mysql-3.23.37'
6) type './configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data --with-mysqld-user=mysql
--with-thread-safe-client --enable-assembler'
7) now type 'make'
8) then 'make install'
9) now, it should be installed to /usr/local/mysql, but we told mysql that
we want to run it as user 'mysql' (--with-mysqld-user=) so, create a user
account named 'mysql' and make him part of the group 'mysql' by running
'adduser'
10) now you can create the grant tables if they aren't already there, run
'/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_install_db'
11) now, make sure the user 'mysql' has access to the mysql stuff, run
'chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql' and 'chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql'
12) also, make the start/stop scripts executable by him, run 'chmod u+x
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/mysql.server' and 'chown u+x
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/mysql.server'
13) now, the last thing is to copy the mysql config file to /etc (this will
make the config options global), so do this 'cp
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf' and be sure to look
at the file /etc/my.cnf to see if you need to change anything there.
14) now we should be good to go, test the server by running
'/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/mysql.server start' it should start just fine,
you might even want to check the error logs in
/usr/local/mysql/data/(whatever.foo.bar.err)

I hope this helps you out!

Patrick