%% Victor Pendleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  vp> When the database is in a `hung` state, is the file system where
  vp> the MYI, MYD and frm files accessible?

Definitely.  I can log in, see the files, run the mysqladmin commands,
etc.  The databases live on the local disk, not a remote server (I do
backups every night to a remote server).

Other operations and services on that server continue to work.

Thanks for the response!